Senior Technical Designer
Chicago Scenic Studios seeks creative & motivated Senior Technical Designers to join our team.
Successful candidates will lead the technical design phase of projects in collaboration with the design department and fabrication departments, and project management. Candidates will develop & design solutions to project challenges of varying degrees and generate appropriate documentation to communicate those solutions to clients, subcontractors, and Chicago Scenic's shop. A minimum of 5-7+ years of experience is required for the Senior Technical Designer position.
Positions are available at both Chicago Scenic locations: Orlando and Chicago
- Expertise in both 2D & 3D Autodesk Modeling software including but not limited to AutoCAD (2D & 3D), AutoCAD Mechanical, Autodesk Advanced Steel, & 3DS Max.
- Advanced Knowledge of Rhino 7, Solidworks & Blender also preferred but not mandatory.
- Advanced knowledge of CNC / CAM software (Enroute, RhinoCAM, Lightburn)
- Advanced knowledge in FRP, wood & metal construction & fabrication techniques for theatre, live entertainment, themed environments, & museum quality exhibits & displays.
- Advanced knowledge of construction materials, hardware & adhesives, & their uses in the industry.
- Advanced knowledge of theatrical rigging techniques & structural design for theater & installations.
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical systems for interactive exhibits.
- Experience with tradeshow & traveling exhibits including the breakdown of scenery, packing & unpacking of crates, & access requirements of oversized scenic elements.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Strong design & organizational skills with the ability to manage & produce drawing packages as they relate to each project.
Preferred Software Skills:
- Strongly proficient using AutoCAD 2D & 3D, AutoCAD Mechanical, Advance Steel, Solidworks, Rhino 7, or similar parametric modeling programs.
- Aptitude with Adobe Creative Cloud products (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.)
Required Education / Experience:
- 5-7+ years professional experience as a Technical Designer for theme parks & live entertainment or professional experience as a Technical Director, Shop Foreman, Lead Fabricator or similar in a regional theater, commercial scene shop or similar environment.
- Must have the ability to read, assemble, & redline drawing packages as required for internal review & submittal to clients as needed.
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree or comparable work/apprenticeship experience preferred.
Please note: All submissions must include samples of current work or links to a current portfolio.
Submissions without examples will not be considered.
Please send your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.